DISPATCH signs with Whirlwind FX LAB
World class Indie band takes to the road with our Orange Box Phaser, Red Box Compressor, Bomb Boost Pedal, and our legendary Leader cables.
By Will Young
The big events come along once every three or four years. Take the Olympics or the World Cup – major happenings known as much for their rarity as for their unique ability to pull together a community of people. And while nobody would think of comparing a Dispatch concert to these global events, for their devoted fans the band’s 2011 concert tour, the first in a decade, is very big news indeed.
For those not aware of what happens when the members of Dispatch – Brad Corrigan, Pete Heimbold and Chad Stokes – get together to play, take a look at what happened during their last hometown appearance, 2004’s concert at Boston Hatch Shell. “The Last Dispatch” drew an audience in excess of 110,000 people from 25 countries – from as far away as Europe, South Africa, New Zealand and Australia. The event which was expected to draw about 20,000, became the largest independent music event in history and was documented in a feature film THE LAST DISPATCH.
Or consider, for example, the band’s 2007 appearance at New York City’s Madison Square Garden. Inspired to play together again to raise money for charities in Zimbabwe, the band quickly sold out the first night in just minutes, making Dispatch the first independent band ever to sell out the storied venue. “Dispatch: Zimbabwe” went on to sell out three consecutive nights at the Garden, moving more than 60,000 tickets in all. It was their first time playing together onstage in more than three years.
“It just blows our minds,” says Heimbold. “It’s amazing to us that people continue to spread the music years after we stopped touring, and we’re very grateful that our fans are so passionate.”
Founded in 1995 at Middlebury College in Vermont, Dispatch built their incredible following through a grass-roots DIY ethic that wholly ignored the usual routes to rock stardom: major labels, radio airplay, MTV and mainstream media coverage.
As the band’s fan base grew, they began releasing albums on their own Bomber Records label. Starting with Silent Steeples (’96), followed by Bang Bang (’98), Four-Day Trials (’99) and Who Are We Living For? (’00), the four albums, which feature the band’s eclectic musical style built around their patented harmonies, have sold a total of more than 600,000 copies in all.
Along the way the band got some help from an unexpected source. The same file sharing services like Napster and Limewire that were beginning to erode sales at the major labels were a boon for Dispatch. “We spent most of our time touring around the Northeast,” says Heimbold. “But once we got out to California, we were totally surprised to see that the audience already knew all the words to our songs.”
We at Whirlwind couldn't be happier to have these guys on board and look forward to their continued success. Thanks guys for the amazing music, and thanks for choosing Whirlwind.
- Marc Anthony takes Whirlwind on Tour!Dec 04, 2012
- Red Hot Chili Peppers tour the world with WhirlwindOct 08, 2012
- Tony Levin joins the Whirlwind family!Sep 12, 2012
- Neutrik 2012 PremierePARTNER AwardAug 29, 2012
- BUSH switches with Whirlwind!Aug 15, 2012
- Whirlwind welcomes Rick “LD” WayneJun 18, 2012
- Power Link Gets Official UL LISTING!Apr 10, 2012
- NAMM 2012Jan 24, 2012
- Blue October brings their amazing show to townOct 31, 2011
- Parker Lundgren of Queensrÿche joins the ranksSep 27, 2011
- K.D. Lang knocks the socks off of a sold out Eastman Theater!Jun 17, 2011
- The Fab Faux gets a little help from their friendsJun 13, 2011
- DISPATCH signs with Whirlwind FX LABJun 01, 2011
- Whirlwind signs John5May 02, 2011
- Canadian Dealers win big with WhirlwindApr 20, 2011
- KISS calls on Whirlwind to help blow stuff up!Mar 08, 2011
- Tommy Organ rocks out with Whirlwind!Feb 01, 2011
- NAMM 2011Jan 19, 2011
- A Win - Win - Win for Whirlwind, UPS, and The Buffalo BillsDec 15, 2010
- An evening with Joe BonamassaNov 18, 2010
- The Cult brings the big guns!Nov 01, 2010
- Lou Gramm and WhirlwindOct 18, 2010
- The Cult turns to Rochester for their tone!Sep 27, 2010
- John Fogerty, Celebrates 25 years in Centerfield!Sep 15, 2010
- Whirlwind and Rush on tourSep 07, 2010
- TOM PETTY / CROSBY, STILLS, & NASH IN CONCERTAug 18, 2010
- No Shock ZoneAug 17, 2010
- Creedence Clearwater RevisitedJul 30, 2010
- Gabe Condon drops into WhirlwindJul 28, 2010
- Product Review: Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser Guitar Effects PedalJul 08, 2010
- Whirlwind Leader Standard Series Guitar Cable ReviewJul 08, 2010
- Oli Brown Tours with WhirlwindJul 08, 2010
- Customers’ testimonials say it allJul 08, 2010
- Alex Kane and Clare Misstake touring with WhirlwindJul 08, 2010
- Feature article in Music Trades MagazineApr 28, 2010
- Clouseau Finds A Digital Solution Mar 11, 2010
- Rochester Series Effects PedalsMar 10, 2010
- “Les Paul’s Les Paul”Feb 12, 2010