SEAL lights up the XRIJF 2018 Jazzfest, and opens a week of amazing talent!
A night of classics by an indisputable class act.
By Will Young
The 2018 Xerox Rochester International Jazzfest opened its show with a bang on Friday night in the Kodak Hall at Eastman Theater with a classic performance by none other than SEAL! Performing half a set of classic covers like “Luck be a lady”, “I put a spell on you”, and “can't take that away” from his 2017 album “Standards” and segued right into a few classics of his own like “Kiss from a rose” to “Crazy” complete with an eight piece string section from the RPO, and a horn section that sounded like they'd been together for decades. The production was nothing shy of immaculate and his decades in the music industry provided the audience with a finely polished yet never tired performance! The crew was as professional as I've ever met, and raved about the many years they've relied on Whirlwind (which never gets old, and made me feel right at home). We thank SEAL for his many years of amazing hits, his classic take on songs we all grew up on, and we thank him for choosing Whirlwind.
Seal is a Grammy Award-winning singer and songwriter with an international reach known for hits like “Crazy,” “Kiss From a Rose” and “Love's Divine.”
Seal made his full-length, self-titled album debut in 1991 and scored with the moody, socially aware single “Crazy,” which reached the Top 10 of Billboard's pop chart. The artist won several Britain-based awards and released his second self-titled album in 1994, a work that was sonically lusher than its predecessor and featured “Prayer Before Dying” and “Don't Cry,” as well as vocals from Joni Mitchell.
Grand Hit, 'Kiss From a Rose'
Another album single, “Kiss From a Rose,” was granted a spot on the Batman Foreversoundtrack and became a No. 1 pop and adult contemporary hit, also catapulting Seal 1994 into multi-platinum status. The song and vocalist went on to win Grammys for Record of the Year, Song of the Year and Best Male Pop Vocal Performance.
Seal made a contribution to the 1996 Space Jam soundtrack with a Steve Miller Band cover, “Fly Like an Eagle,” that reached the pop and adult contemporary Top 10. His next full-length studio outing, Human Being, came forth in 1998, followed by another self-titled album in 2003 that showcased the single “Love Divine.”
After releasing a greatest hits collection and Live From Paris, Seal dropped System in 2007, the first album in which he didn't work with Horn. He instead collaborated with producer Stuart Price, known for Madonna's Confessions on a Dance Floor.
System had a more dance/up-tempo feel than its predecessors, though Seal's albums have generally incorporated electronic soundscapes into tunes that blend acoustic pop and R&B. His lyrics, framed by a gravelly voice, have tended to be ruminations on relationships and the ways that we live. He has also cultivated an image of a sophisticate who embraces fine art aesthetics, appearing nude on album covers and sporting debonair fashion.
In the fall of 2008, Seal released Soul, a collection of covers featuring the works of R&B greats like Ben E. King, Curtis Mayfield and Otis Redding. He worked on the project with super-producer David Foster, and the two would collaborate again on 2010's Commitment. Seal returned to covers of classics—and reunited with Horn—on 2012's Soul 2.
Seal once again worked with Horn for his next album of original material, 7, slated for a mid-November release. The singer has lead off with several singles that include swoon-inducing ballad “Every Time I'm With You” and the uptempo “Life on the Dance Floor.”
- Judas Priest and WhirlwindSep 10, 2018
- Lake Street Dive packs the house at the JazzfestJun 29, 2018
- SEAL lights up the XRIJF 2018 Jazzfest, and opens a week of amazing talent!Jun 25, 2018
- Alice in Chains and the MultiSelector ProMay 22, 2018
- Phish in the Phamily!Feb 16, 2018
- The Rochester Jazzfest is back in full swing!Jun 28, 2017
- Red Hot Chili Peppers rock out with Whirlwind!Feb 13, 2017
- Whirlwind builds a 13,000 square foot expansion!Jun 01, 2016
- Bonnie Raitt and the Whirlwind Bomb!Apr 05, 2016
- Lettuce Joins the Whirlwind family of bands!Nov 17, 2015
- Bootsy Collins brings the thunder with Whirlwind!Jun 29, 2015
- Surviving a Fishbone Tour!May 11, 2015
- Power Link® and Joe Bonamassa make for a powerful tour!Nov 25, 2014
- Guitar idol Steve Stevens and Whirlwind!Jul 23, 2014
- Buddy Guy brings it to the JazzFestJun 30, 2014
- Rudy Sarzo joins the Whirlwind Family, and continues to provide the thunder for some of Rock-n-Roll’s greatest legends!Jun 09, 2014
- The Fireballs continue to amaze fans for over 50 years!Oct 08, 2013
- “The Wrecking Crew” comes to the Little TheaterAug 19, 2013
- The Black Crowes, The Tedeschi Trucks Band, and WhirlwindAug 01, 2013
- Dave Mathews Band and WhirlwindJul 08, 2013
- Marc Anthony takes Whirlwind on Tour!Dec 04, 2012
- Red Hot Chili Peppers tour the world with WhirlwindOct 08, 2012
- Tony Levin joins the Whirlwind family!Sep 12, 2012
- Neutrik 2012 PremierePARTNER AwardAug 29, 2012
- BUSH switches with Whirlwind!Aug 15, 2012
- Whirlwind welcomes Rick “LD” WayneJun 18, 2012
- Power Link Gets Official UL LISTING!Apr 10, 2012
- NAMM 2012Jan 24, 2012
- Blue October brings their amazing show to townOct 31, 2011
- Parker Lundgren of Queensrÿche joins the ranksSep 27, 2011
- K.D. Lang knocks the socks off of a sold out Eastman Theater!Jun 17, 2011
- The Fab Faux gets a little help from their friendsJun 13, 2011
- DISPATCH signs with Whirlwind FX LABJun 01, 2011
- Whirlwind signs John5May 02, 2011
- Canadian Dealers win big with WhirlwindApr 20, 2011
- KISS calls on Whirlwind to help blow stuff up!Mar 08, 2011
- Tommy Organ rocks out with Whirlwind!Feb 01, 2011
- NAMM 2011Jan 19, 2011
- A Win - Win - Win for Whirlwind, UPS, and The Buffalo BillsDec 15, 2010
- An evening with Joe BonamassaNov 18, 2010
- The Cult brings the big guns!Nov 01, 2010
- Lou Gramm and WhirlwindOct 18, 2010
- The Cult turns to Rochester for their tone!Sep 27, 2010
- John Fogerty, Celebrates 25 years in Centerfield!Sep 15, 2010
- Whirlwind and Rush on tourSep 07, 2010
- TOM PETTY / CROSBY, STILLS, & NASH IN CONCERTAug 18, 2010
- No Shock ZoneAug 17, 2010
- Creedence Clearwater RevisitedJul 30, 2010
- Gabe Condon drops into WhirlwindJul 28, 2010
- Product Review: Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser Guitar Effects PedalJul 08, 2010
- Whirlwind Leader Standard Series Guitar Cable ReviewJul 08, 2010
- Oli Brown Tours with WhirlwindJul 08, 2010
- Customers’ testimonials say it allJul 08, 2010
- Alex Kane and Clare Misstake touring with WhirlwindJul 08, 2010
- Feature article in Music Trades MagazineApr 28, 2010
- Clouseau Finds A Digital Solution Mar 11, 2010
- Rochester Series Effects PedalsMar 10, 2010
- “Les Paul’s Les Paul”Feb 12, 2010