The Fab Faux gets a little help from their friends
The Whirlwind FX LAB is an instant hit with the Fab Faux
By Will Young
Saturday June 11th, 2011 marked a night to remember. The Fab Faux came to town with their amazing recreation of the Beatles, done in a way that has yet to be matched.
With a commitment to the accurate reproduction of The Beatles' repertoire, The Fab Faux treat the seminal music with unwavering respect, and are known for their painstaking recreations of the songs (with emphasis on the later works never performed live by the Beatles). Far beyond a cover band, they play the music of The Beatles so impeccably that one must experience it to believe it. Imagine hearing complex material like “Strawberry Fields Forever” or “I Am the Walrus” performed in complete part-perfect renditions; or such harmony-driven songs as “Because”, “Nowhere Man”, (which features our Whirlwind Compressor) and “Paperback Writer”, reproduced not only note-for-note, but with extra vocalists to achieve a double-tracked effect.
The musical virtuosity of The Fab Faux - in actuality five of the hardest working musicians in NYC – completely up-ends the concept of a Beatles tribute band. Far beyond being extended sets of cover versions, their astounding shows are an inspired re-discovery of the Beatles' musical magic, as The Fab Faux tackles the group's most demanding material live onstage in a way that has to be experienced to be believed.
Calling them, “the greatest Beatles cover band – without the wigs,” Rolling Stone senior editor David Fricke wrote, “the Faux invigorate the artistry of even the Beatles' most intricate studio masterpieces with top chops and Beatlemaniac glee.” Approaching the songs with the intent of playing them live as accurately in musical reading and in spirit as possible, The Faux's breathtaking performances tend to dispel all concert goers' previous notions of a Beatles tribute act. “The Fab Faux have the hardest job in the history of R & R and they pull it off damn well. All rock bands want to be like the Beatles; these guys have the nerve to BE the Beatles. Amazingly, they're so good at it you learn new things about the originals” - Dave Marsh, legendary Rock Critic and Sirius Radio Host.
The Fab Faux are a labor of love that was born in 1998 when neighbors Jimmy Vivino, Music Director/Guitarist for The Tonight Show with Conan O'Brien and long time music partner of Levon Helm, John Sebastian, Laura Nyro and Max Weinberg (to name a few), and Will Lee (who's played with all 4 Beatles), bassist for Paul Shaffer's CBS Orchestra on the Late Show With David Letterman kicked around the idea during an elevator ride in their NYC building. Rounding out the line-up are lead-singing drummer/producer Rich Pagano (Rosanne Cash, Patti Smith, Ray Davies, etc.), guitarist Frank Agnello (Marshall Crenshaw, Phoebe Snow, etc.) and ace keyboardist/guitarist Jack Petruzzelli (Rufus Wainwright, Patti Smith, Joan Osborne Band, etc.). All five principals contribute vocals, making the Faux's soaring harmonies as resonant as their multi-instrumental chops, which are further enhanced by the four-piece Hogshead Horns (with Blues Brothers, Blood, Sweat & Tears and SNL band alums) and Creme Tangerine Strings.
The Faux's high energy shows have generated serious buzz not only at top NYC venues including sold out shows at Radio City Music Hall, The Beacon Theater, Hammerstein Ballroom, and Webster Hall – with Beatles fans, movie stars and world class musicians in attendance - but at major dates in Los Angeles, Atlanta, Las Vegas, Park City, Utah (Sundance), Philadelphia, Boston, Chicago and Toronto, among other locales. They’ve headlined 4 of the last 5 years at Liverpool's annual Beatle Week, playing before 35,000 Beatle fanatics – while in England, they had the rare honor of recording an original song at Abbey Road Studios – and also delighted the masses performing live on the Howard Stern Show and The Mark And Brian Show. Benefit and corporate dates have included events for JVC, the N.B.A. and the Michael J. Fox Parkinsons Research Foundation. TV appearances include Late Show with David Letterman and Late Night with Conan O'Brien.
“It's not just a cover band,” says the Faux's Pagano. “This is the greatest Pop music ever written, and we're such freaks for it…Vivino adds, “It's constant archaeology.” Imagine the instrumental complexities of “Strawberry Fields Forever” and “A Day in the Life” performed part-perfect with an orchestra. The lush, multi-layered harmonies of “Because,” and “Eleanor Rigby” sung note-for-note. The adrenaline rush of “Helter Skelter” and “Paperback Writer,” delivered spot on… “Whenever anyone saw The Beatles perform it was just the four guys,” Lee continues. “You never saw them on stage with a sitar or a string section. We have all that stuff.”
We at Whirlwind are absolutely honored to have the Fab Faux in our family of supported artists and can only thank them for the amazing reproduction of some of rock and rolls greatest pieces of work and thank you as well for choosing Whirlwind.
- Marc Anthony takes Whirlwind on Tour!Dec 04, 2012
- Red Hot Chili Peppers tour the world with WhirlwindOct 08, 2012
- Tony Levin joins the Whirlwind family!Sep 12, 2012
- Neutrik 2012 PremierePARTNER AwardAug 29, 2012
- BUSH switches with Whirlwind!Aug 15, 2012
- Whirlwind welcomes Rick “LD” WayneJun 18, 2012
- Power Link Gets Official UL LISTING!Apr 10, 2012
- NAMM 2012Jan 24, 2012
- Blue October brings their amazing show to townOct 31, 2011
- Parker Lundgren of Queensrÿche joins the ranksSep 27, 2011
- K.D. Lang knocks the socks off of a sold out Eastman Theater!Jun 17, 2011
- The Fab Faux gets a little help from their friendsJun 13, 2011
- DISPATCH signs with Whirlwind FX LABJun 01, 2011
- Whirlwind signs John5May 02, 2011
- Canadian Dealers win big with WhirlwindApr 20, 2011
- KISS calls on Whirlwind to help blow stuff up!Mar 08, 2011
- Tommy Organ rocks out with Whirlwind!Feb 01, 2011
- NAMM 2011Jan 19, 2011
- A Win - Win - Win for Whirlwind, UPS, and The Buffalo BillsDec 15, 2010
- An evening with Joe BonamassaNov 18, 2010
- The Cult brings the big guns!Nov 01, 2010
- Lou Gramm and WhirlwindOct 18, 2010
- The Cult turns to Rochester for their tone!Sep 27, 2010
- John Fogerty, Celebrates 25 years in Centerfield!Sep 15, 2010
- Whirlwind and Rush on tourSep 07, 2010
- TOM PETTY / CROSBY, STILLS, & NASH IN CONCERTAug 18, 2010
- No Shock ZoneAug 17, 2010
- Creedence Clearwater RevisitedJul 30, 2010
- Gabe Condon drops into WhirlwindJul 28, 2010
- Product Review: Whirlwind Orange Box Phaser Guitar Effects PedalJul 08, 2010
- Whirlwind Leader Standard Series Guitar Cable ReviewJul 08, 2010
- Oli Brown Tours with WhirlwindJul 08, 2010
- Customers’ testimonials say it allJul 08, 2010
- Alex Kane and Clare Misstake touring with WhirlwindJul 08, 2010
- Feature article in Music Trades MagazineApr 28, 2010
- Clouseau Finds A Digital Solution Mar 11, 2010
- Rochester Series Effects PedalsMar 10, 2010
- “Les Paul’s Les Paul”Feb 12, 2010